His office advised me to monitor for
- Vomiting
- Abnormal dilation of the eyes
- Abnormal or slurred speech
- Problems walking
- Unaware of location
- Unaware of people who would normally be recognized
- Fussiness of 20 minutes or more
- Wake you up after 1 hour of sleep to have you walk and talk to make sure that you have no loss consciousness.
Once at the hospital, they reviewed your symptoms and vitals and treated the temperature with some Motrin (it hadn't gone down previously because I was underdosing you and not giving you enough). They told me that you had minor bronchitis, gave me a script for an antibiotic and didn't check for the head injury. I figured that physicians know best and went home and returned to our normal routine. The next day I happened to stop into Dr. Yee's office to pick up some documents for Ava and I asked the staff, "Out of curiosity, if you go to the ER for a head injury is it normal for them not to access the head injury and treat something else?" She told me that she would have Dr. Yee call me back with the answer. That answer was "go back to the ER and have a CT Scan done." You could only imagine my frustration. Not that I didn't want to go back, but rather why wasn't this done a few hours ago when I was there in the first place? Why did they allow my baby to suffer? So I packed both you and Ava up in the car, picked up some Burger King, the portable DVD player, and a slew of movies because I knew that we might be there for several hours. (Daddy was in London for software training) Once there, I confronted the staff, charge nurse, the physician on duty as to why I was there again and why was this not address the few hours prior when I was there last. Dr. Carlos Smith, addressed me the proper way and explained to me that doctors are not quick to request a CT scan because of the radiation involved and possible risk of brain cancer, and if the patient is not showing clinical signs of head trauma, then why expose the patient to unnecessary radiation. Now, with that said, how come the physician the few hours prior did not discuss this with me? At this point, I told Dr. Smith that my pediatrician, who's opinion I place 100% faith with, advised me to have one done. I then asked, Dr. Smith if he had a any kids and he told me 3, one of which had the same injury and without hesitation ordered a CT scan for his own child. At that point, I knew my answer was solidified. We were going to wait and get a CT scan done for you because the benefit out weighed the risks. I had to know if you were OK, which you were. It showed to be normal except for the obvious swelling to the forehead. He then told me that, he was going to change the antibiotic that you were on because he also noted an ear infection in your left ear.
So now that, we know that you are going to be OK. I am much more relieved. I just feel terrible that I did this to you. I am sooo sorry. I wish I could take the pain away or even suffer and endure it for you.

No comments:
Post a Comment